Since a couple of weeks sorrel has been overcrowding our vegetable patch. The warmth and nightly showers really did it a favour so no matter how much I harvest it appears to regrow almost over night. For a sorrel lover like me this is pure heaven since I can literally add it to every single meal of the day - if I wanted to. And I do!
These days I am adding it to a lot of dishes and today I decided to mix it into my chickpea salad. We grow the red veined kind since the colours are incredible but you can just as well use the green kind.
Chickpeas are a wonderful base for salads. They provide a nice nutty flavour and go well with any dressing you can think of so here is my take on another chickpea salad but this time with my favourite leafy green of the season.
Zingy Chickpea and Sorrel Salad
- 250 g 1 ¼ cups cooked chickpeas
- 250 g 9 oz sorrel
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- juice of one lemon about 3 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- If you use canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them well. If you cook them fresh follow this instruction.
- Add all ingredients except the sorrel and the parsley to a bowl. Mix well and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. You can skip this step if you are in a hurry but letting it marinade helps the flavours to develop. When ready to serve mix in the sorrel and parsley and eat immediately.