How to make Ketchup
Servings: 20 servings
- 800 ml passata peeled tomatoes in juice*
- 75 ml cider vinegar
- 75 g sugar light brown
- 1 small onion chipped 75g (1/2 cup tightly packed)
- 2 tbsp celery stalk finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder or less if you prefer milder flavours
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice ground
- 1.5 tsp salt
Unless you use passata, blend the tomatoes with juice in a blender until smooth.
Gently saute the onion and garlic with 2 tbsp oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
Add the spices and cook, stirring frequently for about one minute. Add tomato purée, tomato paste, brown sugar and vinegar. Simmer uncovered and stirring occasionally until very thick for 45 to 55 minutes (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).
Puree ketchup in blender until smooth once it reaches room temperature. Chill the ketchup for a couple of hours to let the flavours develop.
The recipe will yield 700g (1.5 lb ketchup).
The ketchup keeps chilled for a month.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 48kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 208mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 260IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.8mg