Wild garlic potato salad with a creamy mayonnaise dressing isn't quite something you think of when you think about vegan side dishes. Mayonnaise is a condiment that people who go vegan generally miss and I am one of them. This salad is an adaptation of a childhood favourite of mine - baby potatoes covered in a generous amount of vegan mayonnaise but with the twist of added wild garlic and green chilli. The wild garlic brings the whole dish to life with its vibrant, fresh taste while the chilli adds a little heat which is nicely balanced out by the earthy sweetness of the peas.
The mayonnaise is made with avocado, and I like to think of it as both the egg and a large part of the oil in mayonnaise. It has a creamy texture when whipped so the idea of turning it into mayonnaise if not very far fetched. It gives the perfect base for any recipe that calls for it and can be used for so many things. I use safflower oil in this recipe, but you can swap it out for olive oil. It will however not emulsify as well, but that is not that critical if you use it in a dressing like this.
Wild Garlic Potato Salad
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 100 g peas frozen
- 30 g wild garlic* finely chopped , tightly packed if measured in cups
- 1 green chilli small
- Place the potatoes in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook them for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, rinse in ice cold water, peel them and slice potatoes into halves. You can leave the peel on baby potatoes, but for this salad I like them peeled.
- You can cook the frozen peas for a few minutes separately or add them during the last two cooking minutes to the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are boiling you should wash, clean and thinly slice the wild garlic. Deseed the green chilli and slice it into thin rings.
- To make the mayonnaise combine avocado, rice vinegar, mustard and salt in a food processor. Run it at max speed until it is a smooth cream. Now is the time to add the oil. Add it very slowly while processing the mayonnaise. It will turn lighter in colour and very creamy.
- Add the potatoes, wild garlic and chillies to a bowl. Pour over the mayonnaise and mix it gently until all are evenly covered.
- Season the salad with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and serve immediately.