Spaghetti with Melted Tomatoes and Kale
- 160 g 6 ounces spaghetti, choose gluten free if you like
- 150 g 4 cups chopped kale
- 200 g 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic with their peel on
- nutritional yeast optional, for serving
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a heavy metal skillet or cast iron pan. Add the tomatoes and garlic to the pan, cover them and let them cook gently over medium to high heat. Do not peel the garlic, if you do so it will burn and turn bitter.
- Take a big pot and cook the pasta following the instructions of the package. Right before draining, scoop a cup of the cooking water out and set it aside. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- By the time the pasta is cooked and drained the tomatoes and garlic should have softened up and you can gently squeeze the garlic in the pan and remove the peel. Add the chopped kale and pasta and gently toss until all is well combined and the kale slightly wilted. This should not take longer than a minute. There is no need to cook it further if you have very fresh kale. If the pasta is too dry then add some of the cooking water to cover the pasta evenly with the sauce.