Pb & J. There are few letter combinations that spark as much joy as these three letters in that specific order. I am a huge fan of those delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and wouldn't turn one down when offered. They are the perfect combination of sweet and salty and I could have them as every single meal of the day. In this recipe I have combined the elements of the PB & J to make a peanut butter and raspberry oats recipe that you will hopefully enjoy as much as I do.
Since the original Pb & J is made of white toast bread and therefore not the healthiest breakfast option I decided to give it a new twist. I replaced the bread with oats and the jelly with fresh fruit. I chose frozen raspberries because they will fall apart when they thaw and can be nicely stirred into the oatmeal.
I tend to make these ahead and they last a few days in the fridge. When the raspberries start to thaw you get the most interesting pink patterns and the top of your oatmeal turns into something that resembles jelly. If you want to turn up the sweetness then sprinkle some palm sugar on top of your still frozen berries but I just drizzle peanut butter over mine. There is no such thing as too much peanut butter, right?
Peanut Butter and Raspberry Oats
- 250 ml almond milk
- 50 g rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon peanutbutter
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or sweetener of your preference
- 1 banana
- 60 g raspberries frozen
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon heated peanut butter optional
- Mix the almond milk, oats and 1 tablespoon peanut butter and divide them into 2 jars or suitable containers. Slice the banana thinly and layer on top. Add the raspberries, seal the container and store in the fridge until the oats have soaked up all the liquid. Ideally, leave them over night but they should be ready in about 2 hours.