Please note that this post contains affiliate links of products that I love and use. This rewards me with a small commission if you choose to buy through the links and none of this will cost you anything – but it does help me pay the bills and deliver you quality content. – Love, Gloria.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; now this is a line that polarises people. Some say they can’t eat in the morning whereas others claim they don’t function without and that it’s detrimental to your health not to eat anything first thing in the morning. While I am no scientist, I can attest that to me it is the most important meal. If I do not eat a big breakfast, I get all woozy, and this hearty vegan mushroom scramble hits the spot perfectly.
It is loaded with everything that I love. Mushrooms, spices, herbs and yummy scrambled eggs… yes eggs. Eggs aren’t something you think of when you talk about veganism but here’s the thing. We’re living in a day and age where we have easy access to anything the planet has to offer, especially spices and ingredients.
The sheer availability of everything from all cultures allows us to experiment and silken tofu seasoned with black Indian salt gives you something that is as close as it gets to scrambled eggs – for 1/3 of the calories and 1/5 of the fat and 0 cholesterol. Sign me up!
What is Indian black salt? It is as the name suggests a humble salt, but what makes it unique is the sulfur content that makes it taste just like cooked eggs. Black salt or kala namak as it’s called looks like ground pink Himalayan salt and can be bought in well-sorted supermarkets that have a world foods section or at local ethnic stores. If you fail to spot it, you can always rely on the internet and get it here.
Now, I do love my large breakfasts, but it doesn’t always have to be savoury, I love my PB&J oats or refreshing Mango Smoothies, but when I know I got a stressful day ahead of me then this my favourite.
This hearty vegan mushroom scramble is:
filling, eggy, easy to make
& jam-packed with flavour.
If you do try this hearty vegan mushroom scramble, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and feel free to tag your versions on Instagram with #gloriathegreedyvegan so I can find them.
Hearty Vegan Mushroom Scramble
- 250 g champignon mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp shallots finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard hot
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kala namak indian black salt (or regular salt)*
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp pul biber red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- Add the mushrooms, champignons and chives to a hot pan. Stir it occasionally for about 5minutes or until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Tip the silken tofu into the pan and gently break it apart while stirring. Wait until the water has evaporated which will take about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the seasoning mix and add the paste to the pan. Gently fold it in and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve with fresh herbs and a sprinkle of fresh pepper. I love to use chives or cilantro.