It’s a month until the official start of summer. If you haven’t given your barbecue a scrub yet then do so, there is nothing that compares to the taste of freshly grilled food on a sunny day. Due to the versatility of a barbecue, there are so many delicious recipes that you can cook in minutes. Now when you hear the word barbecue, most people think of savoury meals, but you can just as well grill your desserts. Pineapple is a delicious fruit on its own, but if you let it caramelise for a few minutes on high heat, it lifts the whole taste experience to another level. This grilled pineapple is coated in a hot and sweet sriracha marinade; it combines the earthiness of thyme, the sweetness of maple syrup and the tangy, hot flavour of sriracha sauce.
While these grilled pineapple slices are intended to be a dessert you can just as well serve them with savoury food. If you like pineapple on pizza, you will love these mixed with roasted veg, but you can also just simply serve them with some mint-coconut cream or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You might be thinking sriracha and dessert don’t mix but hot and sweet is a winning combination. Think of dark chocolate with chilli or red pepper. Give it a chance – you won’t be disappointed.
Grilled Pineapple with Hot and Sweet Sriracha Marinade
- 1 pineapple large
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tsp thyme fresh, finely chopped
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of salt
- Peel the pineapple and cut it into large batons.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl or process in a blender if you prefer a very smooth consistency.
- Cover your pineapple batons generously with the marinade and set aside until ready to grill.
- Pineapple takes only a few minutes to be done so keep an eye on them. Try to grill them from all cut sides to caramelize the natural sugars in it.
- Serve as a side or as dessert with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.