September and early October is my favourite time of the year. The days are still warm but the nights are crisp and cold enough to warm yourself under a blanket and light a few candles. During this time I prefer quickly made dishes so I can maximise my leisure time. This creamy chanterelle pasta is made in a few minutes and uses the fresh, peppery taste of the chanterelle in a bechamel sauce.
I usually cook this shortly after picking my own chanterelles, but you can also find them in the store or farmer’s markets. Sprinkle a bit of fresh parsley and my vegan parmesan on top and enjoy this wonderful autumn dish.
Creamy Chanterelle Pasta
- 100 g chanterelles or girolle
- 160 g tagliatelle or pasta of your choice
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or any oil you want to use
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 20 g parsley chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Clean the mushrooms if necessary. Do so by cutting off the base of the stems and brush them lightly if they are gritty. Heat butter in a frying pan and saute for two to three minutes or until they start to become soft. Take them off the heat and proceed with the sauce.
- Place the vegan butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and melt it completely. Add the flour and stir quickly until combined and keep stirring and cooking the flour and oil mix for a few minutes. It will dry out a little bit and resemble dough as you can see in the pictures.
- Don’t let the mass darken, you want the flour just cooked, not fried.
- Add the milk a few tablespoons at a time and stir vigorously to soften the mixture and it reaches even consistency. Keep adding and stirring the liquid into the mass a few tablespoons at a time until the milk is incorporated.
- Don’t be tempted to add all the liquid at once. It will result in a clumpy disaster. Trust me, I’ve tried. You will be left with a thick, creamy mix of flour, vegan butter and almond milk. If you want your sauce thinner add more milk. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stir well. Then add the sauteed mushrooms and nutritional yeast and stir gently until combined.
- Add to the cooked pasta and mix until evenly covered. Serve immediately and sprinkle with fresh parsley and vegan parmesan sprinkle.