Tender-stem broccoli is all over the stores again and this calls for pasta dishes and warm salads. We were lucky enough that our broccoli in the garden not only survived the winter but it also managed to produce the tiniest and sweetest broccoli florets. This pasta with broccoli is easily one of my favourite dishes.
- 200g (2cups) pasta, fusilli - use gluten free if you please
- 150g (3 cups) broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons parsley-cashew pesto
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to pack instructions. Since the pesto is gluten free you can easily turn the entire dish gluten free by choosing pasta accordingly.
- Cut the broccoli into florets and keep the smaller leafs, they are delicious.
- You could heat water in an extra pot for cooking the broccoli but that is not necessary. You can just as easily add it to the pasta for the last 2 minutes of cooking. If your pasta needs 8 minutes set the timer to 6 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes. It is that simple.
- Right before draining, scoop a cup of the cooking water out and set it aside. Drain the pasta and broccoli and return it to the pot. Add the parsley pesto and generously season with salt and pepper. Toss the pasta well. If the pasta is too dry then add some of the cooking water to cover the pasta evenly with the pesto.