Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am not approachable in the mornings until I ate something, anything really. While I get up very easily and do not need much sleep I would still not consider myself a morning person. I am hangry and demand food, instantly. These overnight oats with dragonfruit and dates are perfect for someone like me. They just sit in the fridge and wait for you to eat them. In fact, they are great for anyone who likes a nice and healthy breakfast that needs no preparation in the morning.
I remember the first time I saw a dragonfruit very well. It wasn’t sure what to think of it so I bought it just out of sheer curiosity. My first dragon fruit was of the white variety since I could not find the pink version anywhere at that time. It looked like a strange, giant kiwi on the inside, only that it was white and not green and had no solid centre. For the sake of full disclosure, the taste was not very overwhelming. It was quite boring, to be honest. I found it really bland and did not bother buying them again for quite some time. Until I ran into a pink variety and gave that a go. It tasted so much better and after some research, I found out that it was not the colour that made the actual difference but the fact the first one must have been very under-ripe.
Now that I had discovered a new fruit that I liked it made its way into all sorts of dishes. They are delicious on their own but also make a great addition to smoothies or breakfasts. Usually, I am always torn between either adding them to smoothies or to my overnight oats. I tend to let the taste decide. When I am lucky enough to have cut open a perfectly ripe one then it goes into my oats. The ones who are not that ripe and on the bland side end up in smoothies.
But no matter what you end up using them for they will upgrade your meals in numerous ways. They have a significant amount of fiber and one fruit nearly covers 50% your daily need of vitamin C. Also did I mention they are pretty? Just look at this. Who would not want to wake up to a breakfast like this?
- 2 dragonfruits
- 100g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp date paste or two dates
- 250ml (1 cup) almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pour the almond milk into a blender and add the date paste or dates. Blend until perfectly combined.
- Add the oats, vanilla and almond milk to a bowl and stir well. Let it sit while you peel and chop the dragonfruit. You can alternatively blend the dragon fruit. It will be very liquid but it will turn into a gel-like consistency if you let it rest in the fridge for about 15minutes.
- Add alternating layers of oats and dragon fruit into two jars and cover them. Place them in the fridge and enjoy your breakfast in the morning.