It is that time of the year again when I eat white potatoes by the bulk. I love those tiny baby potatoes that pop up everywhere this time of the year. They are quickly cooked and make a fabulous side or main. This creamy potato salad with avocado will impress any summer guest.
Especially salads made out of tiny pearl potatoes are my favourite. There are many ways of making potato salads and this is my version of a creamy potato salad that is usually achieved with mayonnaise. For this salad I skipped the mayonnaise though and used avocados instead, they give it a light creaminess and bring a lot of healthy fats to the table. This is a very light and creamy potato salad. You may add more seasoning if you wish but I prefer to let the taste of those delicious new potatoes shine through.
- 450g (1 lb) potatoes, preferably baby pearl potatoes
- 1 small avocado. or 100g (3 oz) frozen avocado cubes
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- ½ tsp freshly chopped thyme, or half the amount when using dry thyme
- Boil the potatoes until done. An easy way to check this is by poking them with a fork or skewer. If they are soft all the way through they are done. Baby pearl potatoes need about 20 minutes.
- Drain the hot water and rinse them with cold water. By doing this it will be a lot easier to peel them. Peel them while they are still warm and set aside. You can either leave them whole or cut them in half. If you use large potatoes cut them into big cubes.
- Add the flesh of a small avocado, rice vinegar, almond milk, lemon zest, black pepper, salt and the garlic clove to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and scoop the cream onto the still warm potatoes.
- Add the thinly sliced spring onion, parsley, basil and thyme and mix well. Serve while still slightly warm or let it marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours.