There is one vegetable that I absolutely loathed as child because I only ever got it served in one way. Boiled. Up to this day there is no single food up that I hate more than boiled zucchini. Whoever came up with the idea of boiling it deserves to eat it boiled for every single meal until the end of time. It is so vile. Now that I got my point across of how much I hate boiled zucchini – let me tell you it is one of my favourite foods today. Especially when served as marinated and grilled zucchini ribbons.
It looks like a lot of work but it really isn’t. All you need is a mandolin or big vegetable peeler to slice them thinly and a few skewers. I use a vegetable peeler for this simply because it’s less to wash up and incredibly quick. As far as the skewers go, you can also use wooden ones but I find that by using metal skewers the zucchini slices are less prone to breaking.
When you thread the zucchini onto the skewers make sure to pack it tightly but not too tight because you want the marinade to get in between the slices and coat everything evenly. Of course the easier way to grill zucchini is just cutting it into slices or thick batons but this way you coat it evenly with marinade and get the maximum flavour out of it.
I use a cut up baby potato at the end of the skewers to make sure the grilled zucchini ribbons don’t fall off. The potatoes won’t be cooked in the time the zucchini needs, they are merely there to keep the thin slices in place as these get quite soft when cooked and will slide off easily.
Just look at all these delicious grilled zucchini ribbons. Perfectly marinated and grilling away. They will have crispy edges with all the smokey flavours of the grill while still having a bite to them in the center. They are fantastic served hot and straight off the grill, served next to my barbecued mushroom kebabs but you can also turn them into a delicious salad.
I tend to have them with just one or two freshly baked naan breads. They are just so delicious on their own that I gladly turn them into a main. Even someone who says they don’t like zucchini will love these. Take it from me, an ex zucchini-hater. Just look at them, they make me want to lick the screen.
- 3 small zucchini, about 500g (1lb)
- for the marinade:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Thinly slice the zucchini with a mandolin or a vegetable peeler.
- Thread the zucchini onto the skewers and pack them rather tightly. It will prevent them from falling off.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl or process in a blender if you prefer a very smooth consistency. Set aside until you are ready to grill the zucchini skewers.
- When you are just about to grill your zucchini spread the marinade generously onto them and make sure you get as much marinade as possible in between the slices.
- Grill the skewers for a a couple of minutes on each side. They are done in a few minutes.
- so keep an eye on them, depending on the heat they can burn quickly.